Opinion and analysis from a student at, what was, the 93rd best academic institution in the whole United Kingdom

Thursday 20 November 2008

November in the Railroad Earth

Follow the link for an extract from October in the Railroad Earth by Jack Kerouac, read by the author...

I am a little melancholy today. The washing machine is taking on water, my room is a mess, I have a blemish on my nose that makes me look like Rudolf the red-nosed reindeer so can't even go down to the shop...

I have posted the above link because I need reminding that I am more than these trivialities. Kerouac's voice evokes memories of my 3,000 mile trip from New York to Los Angeles!

The nearest I get to the Railroad Earth now is when I walk across the bridge overlooking the cutting at Surbiton and the Waterloo line. It is not very exciting.

I did wonderful things, once. These days, I just sit in my pyjamas, eating biscuits until the sun goes down.

About Me

My photo
An aspiring writer trapped in the never-ending suburbs at the edge of G. London