Opinion and analysis from a student at, what was, the 93rd best academic institution in the whole United Kingdom

Monday 3 November 2008

Political fireworks and fireworks generally

I found this quote from the late, great Hunter S. today, referring to the 2004 American election but it could equally apply to this one and extend to my interest in politics generally:

"Election Day -- especially a presidential election -- is always a wild and terrifying time for politics junkies, and I am one of those, too. We look forward to major election days like sex addicts look forward to orgies. We are slaves to it."

God, I love politics! I was doing a degree in the subject once, why did I quit? Every word from Andrew Neil's mouth on a Wednesday morning is, to me, a drop of heavenly ambrosia... Well, almost!

Like the majority of this continent's soppy liberals, I am going to get behind Obama tomorrow; if for nothing else than I have the sneaking suspicion McCainwould 'surge' in Afghanistan which would probably mean a lot more British lives. I may make my first bona-fide trip to a betting shop however and there place a sneaky tenner on McCain, just to make it interesting.

***

Now to a completely unrelated topic: fireworks. From my point of view, at least, they seem to demonstrate everything that's wrong with human nature. What people are basically saying is: I don't have a gun or any dynamite but I could have these things if wanted to; not only that, I would set them off indiscriminately and create a bloody great racket.

Humbug! Fie on their repressed pyromania! These so called 'normals' aren't fooling anyone.

***

Further advice, go and see the new Westfield centre in White City before the rest of the world begins to feel the effects of America's anticipated lurch toward protectionism. I went today and, let me tell you, it's the sort of shopping you could only previously have expected to find on a large space station.

About Me

My photo
An aspiring writer trapped in the never-ending suburbs at the edge of G. London