Opinion and analysis from a student at, what was, the 93rd best academic institution in the whole United Kingdom

Sunday 19 October 2008

Disillusionment with the Artform

I thought that nobody was writing poetry, that it was a dying art and I therefore had a free hand and could take time to hone my craft. I believed I was transmitting to a select group of people on one of the last available frequencies. I was pleased but I was complacent. Instead, it turns out that everybody and their uncle is broadcasting some kind of self-obsessed, semi-lyrical, mixed metaphor drivel with which they are clogging up the airwaves. All in all, I need to up my game pretty drastically if I don’t want to be caught with my metaphorical trousers around my figurative ankles. I feel like I’ve been striving to emulate Houdini all this time and, all the while, everyone else has been upstaging me, behaving like bloody Paul Daniels.

About Me

My photo
An aspiring writer trapped in the never-ending suburbs at the edge of G. London