Opinion and analysis from a student at, what was, the 93rd best academic institution in the whole United Kingdom

Monday 20 October 2008

The continual venture into the realm of rejection... er... continues

Today I received a rejection from a web-based magazine (which I will not be vulgar and name here, less my legions of fans bombard the editor with hatemail) for a short work of mine called "London Under". Before I collapse into a fit of protracted hysterics I'll include a few of the critical quotes from the letter, for posterity:

"Dear Mr. Hampton"... good. "Thank you for your submission"... good. "Although I enjoyed your story"... good; slightly ambivalent tone. "I'm afraid we will not be accepting your work for publication"... What in Heaven's name happened, it was all going so well?

Chin up I guess; it was only a throw away piece that I thought might suit a sci-fi fanzine...

One last thing, I was accused of having omitted "in short, elements of plot". Well, a) my piece did have plot it was just that plot elements related to possible future actions and a sensible reader would have inferred that these are probable, nay even definite actions. B) I can find you some Kafka that has no plot at all but is still very enjoyable, furthermore, it came up on my course the other day so it must be of academic worth, too.

For anyone interested in the story in question, I am sure it will appear in my collected works in a few years. All I can offer for the moment is a big, unprofessional raspberry directed at the editor of said magazine and the above cynical comments.

Don't expect another entry for a few days while I continue to reel from this philistinism!

About Me

My photo
An aspiring writer trapped in the never-ending suburbs at the edge of G. London