Opinion and analysis from a student at, what was, the 93rd best academic institution in the whole United Kingdom

Tuesday 7 April 2009

The green, green grass of (my first) home

I'm still writing essays, only now I'm doing them in the style of Sneil the snail, my former pet and semi-namesake from my primary schooldays.* (I wonder what ever happened to him, poor bastard! I used to take him everywhere with me but one day I must have just forgotten him, only to recall him now for an unamusing analogy a mere thirteen years later.)

Today, for want of things to do as a break from my exertions, I ventured back to my old house on the border with Eversley, Berkshire. When I write 'border' I do mean it; the stream at the bottom of my garden was the county boundary between Berkshire and Hampshire; the latter signifying the stolid housing estate upon which I lived and the former, wonderful expanses of greenbelt which have stayed stuck on my subconscious despite life since being almost entirely devoted to a world of overlooking flats, petrol-stations and the general suburban sprawl.

Briefly, walking back in the old fields this afternoon, I did feel 'something' awakening within me... perhaps a vague desire, oneday, to get out of all of this and return to the rapidly declining agrarian landscape. Whatever it was, I couldn't honestly tell you that it had much to do with memory- we left that house in 1990! No, my clearest memories from those days involve a bright blue dummy and, for some reason best known to Bob Holness, Bob Holness.

Still, I am deadly serious when I say that I will return there. I will be MP for Eversley or somesuch- maybe even a mere councillor so I can get there a tad sooner (although, on second thoughts, is such a position even open to people who have been absent from the community for eighteen years? I hope so).

One thing's for sure, and I say it often enough: I have had enough of these bloody suburbs!

*How does one write this- 'primary school days' seems to atomize the term too much but 'primary schooldays' seems to imply that these were, somehow, the pivotal point in my academic career... I still don't think I've reached that (perhaps I never will).

About Me

My photo
An aspiring writer trapped in the never-ending suburbs at the edge of G. London