Opinion and analysis from a student at, what was, the 93rd best academic institution in the whole United Kingdom

Tuesday 13 January 2009

An academic discussion

My relationship with the University of London shares faint fibres of analogy with Derrida's dealings with the wider academy (and I say this as I undertake a paper in Lit Theory involving him which may kill me).

Like him, I am an ill-informed, ill-prepared, pseudo-intellectual chancer stuck out on the peripheries of knowledge and, like him, it is also unusual for me to get out of my bathrobe (well, dressing gown) unless I need to go down to Londis.

... then again, during his lifetime at least, everybody loved Derrida- he was cool, dangerous, a linguistic anarchist! I, on the other hand, have now been rejected from the University of London four times and, this year at least, have a mere four more chances. The closest I get to linguistic anarchism is when I do a joke at the back of a critics class in Kingston.

I'm a bright kid! Why don't they want me? (At least for philosophy-based courses). The furthest I got was the interview stage a couple of years ago, where they tested me for clarity of thinking and I, apparently, failed... Well, just judge the clarity of this rant about Deconstruction and make your own mind up.

Most importantly of all, why do I still crave acceptance there at any cost? I am about to be awarded a degree, give or take a couple of months, am I mental?

Ho hum. Well, I have to get back to work now...

About Me

My photo
An aspiring writer trapped in the never-ending suburbs at the edge of G. London